On Sat, Jan 22, 2005 at 01:34:55PM -0600, Nate Carlson wrote:
> My view on this has always been that if you're replying to a message
> posted to the list, the default behavior should be for your reply to
> you'll have to do something different. It's always seemed perfectly
> obvious to me..

For the most part, I agree.

I can expand on this a little - let's take the question out of the
technical arena and into the social.  What is the goal of the list?
To help maintain community cohesiveness, or disseminate information?

If the role is community, the all replies going to the list by default
is good behavior.  It's kind of like being at a party - if you want to
have a private discussion there, you have to go through extra work to
have it.  If a list is part of - or maybe _is_ - the community, and
exists to help keep the community together, replies go to it.

If the role is purely informational, then replying to the original
sender can be a preferred option.  A friend of mine told me of the one
list he knew of where reply-to-sender actually worked - it was a
high-volume OS list (Sun, IIRC), where the tradition was:

1) Ask a question
2) Everyone with input replies directly to you
3) After you've gotten a bunch of answers, you summarize the answers,
   and explain what worked for you, in a follow-up message

If I join an mailing list, it's because I want to be part of that
community.  Why should we make participating in the community more
difficult or onerous?

FWIW, I use mutt, mutt knows this is a list - so, I hit R for reply,
go 'grrr', cancel the message, and THEN hit L for list-reply.  I would
prefer Reply-To be set to the list - R goes to the list, if I want the
individual, I hit N and mutt pops up with the original sender.

--
Scott Raun
sraun at fireopal.org