Chad Walstrom wrote:
> Oh, by all gods large and small, here it is...  To sign up, you must
> subscribe their newsletter to the list, at least that's how the TCWUG
> group has it set up.  Additionally, they have not used the mailman
> "topics" feature to label it as "advertisement".
Although this is not obvious from the registration form, let's just
assume that some group or list alias is a requirement and that they
will send some promotional material.

Even though it would make sense to use advanced features such
as mailman topics I suspect it is unrealistic to expect them to do so.

> Please do not cave in to this request, or if you do, place the crappy
> advertisement newsletter on another list.  IMHO, newsletters should be
> sent out to INDIVIDUALS, not lists, on a subscription basis only.
I agree that sending promotional information to lists is a little
abusive.

How about this as a compromise:  We create a new list, such as:
  tclug-promotions at mn-linux.org
which gets treated and managed in the exact same way as
the existing mailing lists.  Members could then subscribe to this list
on an "opt-in" basis.  Researchers of unsolicited mail, such as
Sk3tch, may find this useful as well.

Thoughts?

--Tom

P.S. By the way I thought our lists were going to be archived on gmane
     now, but these seem out of date (no posts since 1/17)?
       http://news.gmane.org/gmane.user-groups.linux.tclug
     However the traditional location seems to be up to date:
       http://shadowknight.real-time.com/pipermail/tclug-list/2005-January/thread.html