I disagree.  Your assumtions seem to be for a minor subset of people at most.  Not *everyone* is on full time now, and many of us
travel, etc, so the list function is strongly preferred by many.  Some who are "often on" strongly prefer lists and their features.
Some of us prefer not to use web or usenet (etc) for list types of activity.

I do agree that any REPLY function should be used intelligently and that replies should be trimmed as well.  I prefer that replies
go to the list whenever the info may be of use to others.

Chuck