On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 00:45:39 -0600, Florin Iucha <florin at iucha.net> wrote:
> I will haul it to nanosys~1 tomorrow and use their PSU tester
> and motherboards and patience to isolate the problem and replace the
> faulty component.

For those who don't know, here's a simple homebrew ATX power supply tester.
You need: hard drive that spins, paper clip.

Plug the hard drive in as normal.  Unplug the 20 pin ATX connector
from the motherboard.  Turn the connector so the little plastic clip
is facing you.  Take the paper clip and short together pins 14 and 15.
 Pin 14 is 4th from the left (usually green), pin 15 is one more to
the right (usually black).  The hard drive should spin up.

Don't keep the power supply on for more than a couple seconds,
underloading a power supply may damage it.

I have a power supply tester at work that's the same concept, except
it has a massive carbon resistor/heatsink thing on it negating the
need for the hard drive.

-Brian