Callum Lerwick wrote:
> Oh dear god the new list seems to be reply-to-author by default?

YAY!

> Oh well, breaking tradition and user expectations in the name of
> correctness is the right thing to do.

*NOD*

> Mailing lists are still an immense outdated kludge. Now if only NNTP
> allowed server side state. Or IMAP clients allowed you to easily post
> a message into a folder without replying to something.

Actually, you can post something into a folder, IIRC, if you have public
folders shared/enabled.   IMAP allows for different namespaces [1]_,
including #mh, #news, #ftp, and even ~.  Theoretically, you COULD run an
IMAP server for clients that do not have publically accessible email
addresses.  Email clients assume that you want to send email through an
SMTP server, where as in fact, you could dump messages into any IMAP
folder.  The fault is in the client, not the protocol.

BRAINSTORM:  What if you had a drop-box for outgoing email on your IMAP
server.  It picks up messages and pops them over to its SMTP server for
delivery.  You wouldn't even need SMTP for your IMAP client!

In fact, tying into your following suggestion, you could create a #bbs
namespace that would be a public shared folder.

> Sigh, so many ways to get it almost but not quite right... What the
> world needs is...
>
> Citadel/UX! http://uncensored.citadel.org/citadel/

Cool.  Forgot it even existed.  I'll have to take a look at it.

> Which I have packaged here: http://www.haxxed.com/rpms/

Yay.

.. [1] $ahttp://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc3501.html

--