Yes, the shortcut bar has been replaced by a bunch of huge ugly space
wasting buttons that you can't seem to turn off, in Evolution's
continuing quest to follow Microsoft's lead in innovating new and
shittier user interfaces as exactly as possible.

Whoever it is at microsoft who invented the "activity center" approach
to UI design needs to be dragged out into the street and shot, and then
have their corpse dismembered and desecrated.

Separating out the functions instead of having them all in one
unmanageable tree was a great idea. Using a pile of ugly buttons the
size of a barn to switch them was not. They're HUGE. They take up over a
third of the available vertical space on an 800x600 screen! With tiny
fonts! Thats a huge amount of screen real estate taken up by a
relatively trivial feature. And no, not everyone has a 19 inch 1600x1200
LCD panel and good eyesight. Lots of people, especially those in the
corporate offices that Evolution is supposedly ment for, are running at
1024x768 at BEST, with big fonts, on aging blurry old hand-me-down 14in
monitors, and are over the age of 30. If your solution is to get a
better monitor, I don't want to hear it.

It doesn't even make sense conceptually. Its a big box of buttons. Tabs
along the top of the tree would make more sense. Or a popup menu. Or
icons on the toolbar. There's no reason to eat up so much goddamn space.

It at the very least should be optional. If you have nice big monitors
and want huge Fisher Price "My First Outlook Clone" buttons, so be it.
But I don't want 'em.

(This has been another Lerwick misdirected axe grinding rant.)