On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 16:02:39 -0600, Nick <bellsoffreedom at animail.net> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Situation:  I have a SUSE 9.0 Linux laptop hooked up to a Windows XP
> Home Edition desktop with a cross over cable. Windows recognizes the
> connection. Linux doesn't.
>
> Question:  When I ping, Linux says network is unreachable. How do I
> get Linux to see the network?

"Network unreachable" usually means that you have a routing error. In
other words, the system can't figure out how to locate the network
address you are trying to reach. Do you have a default gateway setup?
I know you don't technically need a gateway since the machines are on
the same subnet, but I have seen similar issues where adding the
gateway fixed it.

--
Dave Sherman
MCSA, MCSE, CCNA