On Mon, 17 Jan 2005, slushpupie at gmail.com wrote:
> Something for people to remember when doing VoIP phones is that 911
> services is not supported in all areas yet. I think most of the twin
> cities area is, though.  For some people this isnt a concern- but if you
> have kids in your house, you want them to be able to dial 911 and have
> it work when they need it (hopfully they never will- I never did)

..and even though Vonage does offer 911 dialing, it's not the same as 911
from a POTS line. Apparently, it does not yet provide locational services
and such -- so you have to be able to state your address and such for the
person on the phone.

There's a trial in some state (don't recall which) that has E911 rolled
out to all of their emergency centers to provide the address info which
apparently works quite well, but as far as I know it's not in MN yet. I'd
love to be corrected, though!