SUMMARY
 This article describes how either an Exchange Server administrator or end
users can prevent the Winmail.dat attachment from being sent to Internet
users when using the Microsoft Exchange Internet Mail Connector (IMC).

 When an end user sends mail to the Internet from an Exchange Windows or
Outlook client, a file attachment called Winmail.dat may be automatically
added to the end of the message if the recipient's client cannot receive
messages in Rich Text Format (RTF). The Winmail.dat file contains Exchange
Server RTF information for the message, and may appear to the recipient as a
binary file. It is not useful to non-Exchange Server recipients.
Many mail clients don't work with RTF (a Microsoft proprietary format).
I was just commenting on how bent out of shape some people were about the
prior subject of adding X-message-flag headers to the mail messages they sent
that would change the priority of the mail message.
See this reference for more info:
http://www.rodos.net/outlook/

It was just a simple comparison of what users of other e-mail clients put up
with without saying anything to the user of the Outlook software.  When you
compare the statements made to Bob by Outlook users (some disparaging remarks
about his mother for gosh sake!), you have to wonder what makes some people
tick.

I did not wish to get anybody worked up, but apparently talking about nuances
of different e-mail clients is a touchy subject.

Kelly Black
KB0GBJ