On Fri, Jan 14, 2005 at 01:26:56PM -0600, smac at visi.com wrote:
> I'm so glad I have DSL with VISI.com.

Glad in the "I'd be glad to donate bone marrow" sense?

Comcast is $67.95/mo for      3.2mbit/384kbit
           $87.95/mo for      4.2mbit/728kbit ("Pro" service)
TW is $44.95/mo for           3.2mbit/384kbit
VISI is $160/mo + $165/mo for 4.0mbit/864kbit (if you qualify, which most
        ^-VISI    ^-Telco                      don't)

Comcast has free install and 6 months at a reduced rate ($25/mo or so)
VISI has a $25 setup *fee*

This doesn't include various discounts for also having cable TV service,
1Q2005 Comcast is supposed to be upgrading everyone to the 4.2mbit service
and making 5.2mbit the Pro service.

Wait, stop there..

"but I get static IP's with DSL!"

My IP hasn't changed with Comcast in over a year.

"but I get a block of IP's with DSL!"

You can DHCP 5 addresses or so with Comcast, last time I bothered to check

"but I get my *own* IP's with my name and home address listed for the world
to see in a publicly accessable location!"

uhm, yeah. I don't want random people looking at that.

The original problem in this thread is his linksys, by default they have
'block internet ping request' turned on, and he probably previously had
his windows box set as the DMZ to which the requests were forwarded.

Also, if you think VISI hasn't portscanned their customers to see if they
are running various open relays/proxies you're more ignorant than I thought.

I also find it funny that you posted this from your work, which uses TW.