Nate Carlson wrote:
> Other than that, I haven't had any problems with Vonage as a landline
> replacement. I've just outgrown them; I run my own Asterisk box, and would
> rather have full control over the number instead of routing it through an
> ATA first. What I ended up doing is getting a DID from another provider,
> and have Vonage simultaneously ring that DID (which rings into my Asterisk
> box) and the ATA, instead of just ringing the ATA.

Very cool... a couple questions:

1) have you every used a SIP softphone (including the proprietary Linux one)
   with Vonage?  If so, how did it work?  how does it compare with
   Asterisk softphones?

2) did you consider GNU Bayonne instead of Asterisk (open vs. closed protocol,
   SIP gateway, etc.)?

3) I'm not sure I grok the architecture here... does Vonage make an IP call
   to your Asterisk server (or is this all on the PSTN side?)?
   You don't have a landline at all, right?  So when you make an outbound
   call via Asterisk it gets routed to the PSTN via Vonage?

4) Is there a point at which you wouldn't need Vonage anymore (or will
   they always serve as the PSTN gateway, forwarding/voice mail agent, etc.)?

I actually think this is very on-topic!

Regards,

--Tom