Mike Miller wrote:
> I was just trying to ping my old Win98 box from my office and it did not
> work.  I think it has been like this since I moved to a new home and
> started using Time/Warner as an ISP.  Anyway, I don't see anything about
> it on the web, so do you guys know if Time Warner blocks that kind of
> traffic?
>
> It also seems that I cannot use VNC to connect to home from my office.
> Do you know if Time/Warner blocks VNC traffic (TCP port 5900)?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Mike

A quick test shows that TW does appear to be blocking ICMP, ping and
traceroute both fail for me. I don't have a VNC installation to test
against, however I can tell you that SSH and HTTP work just fine. When I
need to get to my Windows box I use VNC over SSH to my Linux box and
then VNC to my Windows box. It's a bit of a hassle, but less so than
exposing a Windows box to the Internet :)

Josh