On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 09:22:09 -0600, Larry Pint <larry.pint at ntuminc.com> wrote:
> It's my understanding that by charging him with terrorism, he can be
> held indefinitely without formal charges or hearings.  He can also be
> sentenced without a formal trial and doesn't have the normal legal
> protections.  And , without those due process checks, it's easy to
> charge someone.  In the name of terrorism prevention we have forfeited
> many of our rights.  (In my opinion, way too many.)  It seems to me that
> anyone charged with terrorism is stripped of all normal legal rights,
> and the definition of terrorism is so broad and vague that it can easily
> be applied to too many situations.

<sarcasm>
You must not be an American then. A Red-Blooded American (TM) would
welcome the opportunity to give up any and all rights for the sake of
"security". Anyone who says otherwise not only is un-American, but
also against liberty, justice, and Freedom Fries.
</sarcasm>

> My not so humble opinion.  (I am not a lawyer.)

I agree.

IANAL as well, but I believe charging this guy with terrorism and
holding him under USA-PATRIOT Act clauses and trying him in a FISA
("secret") courts are two different things. While I find the
USA-PATRIOT Act extremely errossive of our freedoms, I believe it has
only been applied once or twice to an American citizen. All others
have been foreigners or aliens. Not that this makes it okay, by any
means.