This is a pretty minor issue but I would like to get it sorted.

When I boot to the kernel installed with base slackware there is a
penguin icon at the top of the loader screen and the text is smaller.

When I boot to a kernel I recompiled to add smp support and a couple
of SCSI modules, the penguin icon is gone and the font on the loader
screen is much bigger.  I assume that I'm missing a setting somewhere
during the configuration of the new kernel.  I use make menuconfig to
set the kernel options.

I have a couple of questions:

Would using 'make oldconfig' using the current stock kernel config
before running menuconfig toggle the setting in the newly compiled
kernel or is this icon and font controlled somewhere else in another
config file?

Can you use 'make oldconfig' if moving from say a 2.4.26 kernel to
2.4.28 or are there issues with compatibility?

regards,
rotbau