    Sam> This sort of sound's like the same problem Linux had with the "win modem".
    Sam> The hardware was designed for M$ OS.

    Sam> Who is the manufacturer?

Logitech.

Actually, I'm working my way towards a solution.  oddly (or perhaps
not, I don't know), showkey -c does NOT work --- the keys are "dead."

HOWEVER, scancodes are echoed into /var/log/messages for the deadkeys,
like so:

Jan  9 14:54:47 necronomicon kernel: atkbd.c: Unknown key pressed (translated set 2, code 0xd8 on isa0060/serio0).
Jan  9 14:54:47 necronomicon kernel: atkbd.c: Use 'setkeycodes e058 <keycode>' to make it known.

... so I should be able to make a keyboard map for this beast after
all!

Thanks to all for their help.

BTW, can anyone explain to a bear with very little brain what lineak
is used for?  I.e., if we've got a keymap for these beasts, don't we
just set keybindings in KDE (or gnome)?  What's lineak doing for us
that we don't have with just X + a graphical desktop?

Thanks,