On Mon, 3 Jan 2005 15:55:53 -0600, Scot Jenkins <scot at thinkunix.net> wrote:

> I have to throw this out there:  you do have backups you can restore
> from, right? :P

Yes.  In a sense...  The box is #2 in a load balanced environment.
The primary box is backed up, and the second is not, but the data (non
OS) areas are rsync'd between each other.  Not the best scenario, but
better than nothing.  Not my design I'll say and I'm not entirely
happy with it.

As to the read-only filesystem, I tried running multiple fsck's
against it, and the first few would generate erros, but I don't recall
what they were.  It's an ext3 filesystem, on an RHELv3 box.  For the
first few times, I was able to drop the box into single user mode, run
an fsck against the disk, and it would find and correct errors.  Now,
the filesystem is saying it's okay with no errors, yet I can't get it
to get out of read-only mode even with a reboot.

Instead of doing a dd, in this case would it be better to partition
the drive and do a cpio from partition to partition as someone
mentioned?

--
-Shawn

-Nemo me impune lacessit.  Ne Obliviscaris..