On Mon, Jan 03, 2005 at 03:30:34PM -0600, Shawn Fertch wrote:
> The cause for replacing the drive is that the root ( / ) partition has
> marked itself as read-only.  Doing fsck's and rebooting is no longer
> correcting the issue.

What kind of file system is /?  ext3?  I had a case a few weeks ago
where the root file system would revert back to read-only because it had
trouble writing to the journal.  It filled the dmesg output with lots of
ext3 error messages.

I ended up booting with a rescue disk, removing the journal with some
combination of tune2fs, mounting the file system and removing the
.journal file.  After recreating the journal with tune2fs, the system
hasn't given me any more problems (yet).

Nate