My experience with dd is rather limited at this time  I've read the
man pages on dd, as well as doing some googling, but a few questions
still remain if someone can help.

I have a server that I need to replace the OS drive in.  My thoughts
were to do the following to replace it:

-Connect replacement drive to system.
-Boot to a live cd such as Knoppix
-Use dd to moves files from old drive to new using syntax similar to:

dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/hdb

Seems fairly straightforward.  However, the questions I have are:

-Will dd copy over the partition information as well, or should I
create the partions by hand and then use dd on each partition such as:
 dd if=/dev/hda1 of=/dev/hdb1

-Do I need to specify any block sizes or error correcting?

The cause for replacing the drive is that the root ( / ) partition has
marked itself as read-only.  Doing fsck's and rebooting is no longer
correcting the issue.  In doing a dd from one drive to the other, is
there a chance that whatever is marking the partition read-only will
be brought over as well?

Anything else that I seem to be overlooking?

Thanks.

--
-Shawn

-Nemo me impune lacessit.  Ne Obliviscaris..