On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 16:41:24 -0600, George Fischer <ge.fischer at gmail.com> wrote:
> I actually mentioned that in my original question.  The Prism54
> direvers don't work, but ndiswrapper works fine.  It's a kernel module
> that actually uses the WinXP drivers to interface with the card.
>
> Now that I've gotten it to load ndiswrapper on insert, and I have set
> up ifscheme, I'm hopping from hotspot to hotspot around Minneapolis
> with no troubles whatsoever.

That's great!

Are you able to put it in monitor mode and sniff traffic and whatnot, as well?

As for your "I'm still not sure how this all works" comment, neither
am I, but from what I can gather, your system detects the hardware,
probes the device looking for manufacturer/device/model IDs, which end
up being one (or several) of the numbers that followed the line you
modified to get your card working. By modifying the module name to
ndiswrapper, you told the kernel to use a different driver to handle
that hardware. But this is guessing/assumption, and quite obviously
not anywhere near specific, but it's the general concept, as I
understand it.