Is there a reason why you need to create a file? You can use tar as a
"pass-through" to create a mirror. Or you could use rsync.

bash$ cd /dirtobackup
bash$ tar c * | tar x -C /mnt/lrp

This will copy files from your linux box to your windows machine,
preserving time stamps.

Use rsync:

bash$ cd /
bash$ rsync -rltv /dirtobackup/ /mnt/lrp

If you use rsync, you can run this as many times as you like, and it
will compare the source with the target.

Note that you will not be able to back up all files when the system is
running. (/var/run, /lib, etc.)

torleiv

what you said