I'm running Redhat Linux 9.1.  I am mounting a shared drive on my
Windows XP Pro machine using a "mount -t smbfs" command.  I'm then using
tar (with compression) to try to backup the Linux system to that hard
disk on my computer.  Tar fails when the file size of the tar file
exceeds 2 Gbytes.  This is a 200 Gb drive with at least 90 Gb
available.  Backup Exec is also backing up to this drive and its files
are 4 Gb to 20 Gb in size, so I don't think it's a limit from the
Windows side.

Does anybody have any ideas as to why I'm hitting this limitation?  Does
"mount" limit you to 2 Gb file sizes?  I doubt tar has that limitation.
(Does it?)

The mount command is:

mount -t smbfs -o
username=xxxxxxxxx,password=xxxxxxxxx,rw,debug=4,fmask=777,dmask=777
//larryxp/lrp_removable /mnt/lrp

the tar command is:

tar --create --verbose --file=/mnt/lrp/veritas/ntux.tar --gzip --total
--exclude-from=etc/ntuxexcl *

Both are being run from the root directory (and with a root login).
These commands are in an executable script file that gets run by cron
every weeknight.  I am currently only backing up selected directories to
keep the tar file size below the 2 Gb limit and that is working correctly.

TIA

Larry Pint
National Truck Underwriting Managers, Inc.