Unless I'm misreading the prism54.org page, the wg511 is a supported
card. There is just a disclaimer about the soft MAC thing.

The trick with prism54 cards is that you have to setup hotplug to load
the card's firmware onto the cards RAM. Don't know if it was a price
point issue or what, but the memory in the prism54 cards only hold
information while they have power. If you haven't tried this yet, you
don't know for sure the issue you're running into is the SoftMAC
issue.

I tossed up what I did to get my prism54 card working in the prism54.org forums.
http://www.prism54.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=677

I would look at the configuration on my Linux box, but it went up in
smoke so...I can't. :)

--
Andrew S. Zbikowski | http://andy.zibnet.us
 A password is like your underwear; Change it