Well, this is what I have to say about languages. It all depends on
what you're doing.

If you're doing linux scripting, I would suggest python. With knowing
C/C++, you'll feel right at home. It's a very powerful language, and
is very quick also. Google uses it for a lot of their work. Python
also works in windows quite nicely.

If you're doing web, java would definitely be the way to go. Java has
a lot of nice features. Java classes will integrate with jsp pages
seamlessely. Jsp has layers seperating business and presentation
layers. You can write java applets. I also heard the newer java
releases have been written to run a lot faster than before. Java is a
very powerful tool.

If you have Microsoft servers, C#/asp.net are definitely the way to.
It integrates into anything MS related.

It really depends on what you're doing I guess. Can you give some more
insight into the direction you are heading?

....Have fun with the database administration.

-Josh