"overkill" being the key word.

If this box is just doing DNS it would actually be faster to run it as a
single processor box.  Right now you are dividing the bandwidth to
memory by 4.  Also you could be spending a fair amount of time moving
data between CPU's and you also have the problem that the data you want
may be in another CPU's L2 cache.

BTW how big are the zone files this DNS server is handling?

--
Lee