On Fri, 2005-02-18 at 16:42, Josh Trutwin wrote:
> Is there something in /proc that can tell me the following information
> about the installed video card?
>
> 1.) chipset
> 2.) onboard memory
> 3.) brand/model
>
> I inherited a system and I don't see anything on the card that
> indicates what kind of card it actually is.  Trying to install
> Slackware 10.1 and I need this information to update my xorg.conf
> file.

Yeah, /proc/pci usually has that info.  The lspci utility also usually
has a more up-to-date and extensive database than the kernel ("lspci -v"
gives verbose output).  If you have really new hardware, things might
not be in the system database, though you should be able to get the
numeric PCI IDs somehow and then look them up online:
http://pciids.sourceforge.net/

The amount of memory is usually listed in some funky way, but usually
the X server doesn't need that info these days (mostly only under
certain conditions, such as running dual-head).

--
Mike Hicks <hick0088 at tc.umn.edu>