On Fri, Feb 18, 2005 at 03:32:47PM -0600, Adam wrote:
> (I also posted this on scalug)
> A friend of mine has an interesting situation. Their DNS server gets
> around 2 to 3 million dns queries a day its running on a quad xeon
> system with 4 gigs of ram. Its running Bind 9.2.2.
> At least twice a week if not more their server will stop looking up
> domains that are not cached.
> They end up having to restart bind to get things working again.

Does anything show up in the logs?  I had a problem where after a while
in a caching name server it "couldn't find the root name servers", and
spewed many log messages saying so.  I had forwarders set up in
named.conf - and from what I couuld figure is that the root name server
list would get loaded when named started - but the forwarders would take
care of requests for a week or so.  But then say one of the forwarders
didn't respond, it would try to look it up itself but for some reason
that list of root servers is no longer in memory and it would go crazy
and need to be restarted.

The solution was to add "forward only;" to named.conf - and I havn't had
a problem since.  This was with bind 8.

Dan