On Mon, 14 Feb 2005, Scot Jenkins wrote:

> You might have received a better response from the local *BSD user's group:
>
> http://www.tcbug.org/

Nope.  We're all FreeBSD bigots over there too :)

Tom, as for the turmoil...I dunno.  4.x is still rock-solid, and I haven't
seen any issues in 5.x that would make me consider switching.  I use 5.x
on my workstation at home, 4.x on my...other...workstation at home.  Now
that I've been running 5 at home for a few months I'm starting to put it
on new servers as well, but I'm in no hurry to upgrade the 4.x boxes.

I do remember reading something about the uni-processor issues you
mentioned, but I haven't seen any show-stoppers myself.  You might do good
to take Scot's advice and ask others on the TCBUG list about their NetBSD
experiences, and whether the issues you mention in 5.x are going to be
problematic for whatever it is you're doing.  I haven't seriously used
NetBSD in a few years now (I had an old Alpha system...) so I can't say
whether it's matured or not as of 2.

As for buying a Mac, the last apple product I owned was a IIgs.
Rock-solid, and one of the most dependable POSes I've ever owned.  Played
DigDug like a dream.  Probably boots NetBSD.  Does Apple even still make
computers?  If they do, they must be at like Apple VIgs by now.  If they
fixed some of the bugs in the Basic interpreter, I would definately buy
one of these new-fangled Apple machines again.  I'll just have to get a
new RF converter so I can hook it up to my TV.