On Mon, 2005-02-14 at 22:48 -0600, Jack Ungerleider wrote:
> On Monday 14 February 2005 07:09 am, James J. Baker wrote:
> > Members,
> >     As a newbie to both PC and Linux, I'd like to install a Suse OS on a
> > Pentium II. Is the Suse Linux (DVD) 9.2 pretty much the same as Suse
> > Personal Edition 9.1--in terms of ease of use, etc? Will 9.2 run on the
> > Pentium II?
> >     Thanks
>
> The 9.2 DVD is 9.2 Professional, I think. It appears that the "Personal
> Edition" has been phased out. On the DVD (assuming its the same as the boxed
> set DVD) you have all the binaries for 32-bit and 64-bit (AMD64 and EM64T).
> There should be a second DVD for the sources, but I suspect that ISO isn't
> available since all the source packages are available from the mirrors.

Be careful there with that DVD.  It has been noted that at least the
lt_modem driver is not on the ISO, but is on the ftp site.  Based on
that information there are some packages that are on the ftp site and
not on the ISO image.

> RAM: 128MB required; 256MB recommended - I suspect this means that if you
> don't have 128MB of RAM the YaST installer won't run.

Actually the non-graphical version will probably run with less than
128MB, it has in the past.

---

Jon Schewe | http://mtu.net/~jpschewe
GPG signature at http://mtu.net/~jpschewe/gpg.sig.html