As much as we would all like to hope and pray, Microsoft isn't going
anywhere. Despite all the hell home users go through, office users
don't face the same level of issues.

I manage 150 or so Windows 2000 and XP stations, as well as mutiple
servers. With Active Directory and Group Policy, and a lot know how,
it's become a great operating enviorment, for a Microsoft based
soultion. ;)

It doesn't matter when Longhorn ships. People will STILL be using NT4
on their servers. I thought I was finially done with NT4, then we
purchased another company and the whole mess started over again.

Being part of a company where I'm not top IT managment, Exchange and
Outlook is what we have for e-mail. There are solid clients for
Windows (Outlook), Mac OSX (Entourage), and *NIX (Evolution). Once
Exchange has been mandated to you, it's hard to break the MS lock in.
You have to buy a Windows server CAL as well as an Exchange CAL for
every device, and when you're company is big enough to get a
licenesing agreement Windows Server 2003 comes in around $500, vs. Red
Hat Enterprise which is around $1,000.

Once you're in, you're in.

Luckly, being a printing company, there are enough Macs around that I
can push for XServes instead of Dell Windows servers. They deal with
active directory stuff just fine, and are perfect replacments to NT4
boxes. Definitly a happy medium there.

Even with all that, there is still a place for Linux. I've currently
got 30 Linux web/data entry terminals, a couple servers, and there are
15 more terminals waiting for me to install them. People get to see
Linux and Mozilla do something great. Yay.

In 99% of businesses out there, you can't escape Windows desktops. The
best way to manage Windows desktops is with Windows servers, just like
the best way to manage Mac desktops is with Mac servers. And hey, the
Windows servers and the Mac servers know how to get along just fine,
and there is bliss. And the Linux installs will talk to everything.
Great.

I don't see any of these OSes/Platforms going away. MS is too
prevalent, Apple has too much money in the bank, Linux has open
source.

And now I'm rambling. ;)

--
Andrew S. Zbikowski | http://andy.zibnet.us
 A password is like your underwear; Change it