On Mon, 14 Feb 2005, Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote:

> Has anybody on this list had a chance to evaluate NetBSD 2.0 on the x86
> architecture?  I am curious to see FreeBSD in turmoil and NetBSD exploding
> onto the scene.  I am especially curious to see the wonderful performance
> improvements that they have reported.

Turmoil?  Other than the new logo fiasco, the only other turmoil I'm aware
of was some troll that was posting to (at least) -users and -hackers about
a benchmark that showed NetBSD was faster in some regard than FreeBSD,
which he took to mean that he should help save the souls of the poor
FreeBSD losers from being stuck on an inferior OS, by spewing his message
to a bunch of mailing lists.  FUD FUD FUD!

> Thanks for any information you would like to share.  I am always interested
> in performance benchmarks against Linux 2.6 and FreeBSD as well.

Beware the benchmark - not just in the case of Linux vs the BSD's, but in
general...yes, choose on performance.  But include all the factors in your
decision.  This includes hardware support, maturity of the app on the OS,
and especially how familiar the admin will be with the OS.

If you have 30 Linux servers and you see that some app runs 10% faster on
BSD, is that 10% worth having a server that's different from the rest?
(Assume "Linux", "10%", and "BSD" to be variables) Especially if your
existing staff are experts in one and not the other.

If I'm sizing a server for a particular app, I don't pay attention to
benchmark's across OSes.  If performance could be an issue, I make sure I
have a plan to scale it up.  If Linux is 10% faster for MySQL than
FreeBSD, and the FreeBSD box can't handle the load, it does me no good to
switch it to Linux since in 2 months I'll need two boxes anyways.

Just my $0.02.