Following up on my longstanding concerns about the future of OpenVMS:

http://news.com.com/HP+to+rejuvenate+OpenVMS+on+Monday/2100-1016_3-5537046.html
http://news.com.com/HP+looks+beyond+Fiorina/2009-7341_3-5569425.html

>From the second page of the first URL above:

    When HP bought Compaq, OpenVMS "was probably one of the close calls when
    they decided what was going to move forward and what projects they were
    going to cancel, simply because OpenVMS is clearly for legacy systems,"
    said Illuminata analyst Gordon Haff. "When (administrators of) legacy
    systems are faced with a transition, they are going to look at other
    alternatives."

    But presumably, HP did the math and decided the investment was
    worthwhile--unlike the conclusion it reached with its largely phased-out
    HP 3000 line. The OpenVMS business was profitable in 2003, but HP
    declined to state whether it is today, citing investor regulations.

According to c|net news, the day Fiorina/HP bought Compaq was "a day of
infamy" in the company's history.  I suppose that has little to do with
OpenVMS.

We'll see what happens with a new CEO at HP.  We don't know what they'll
do with OpenVMS, but I envision them keeping it going unless they are
operating at a loss.  If they can offer help with transitions from OpenVMS
to UNIX/Linux, they might retain more customers than if they make it
equally easy for their customers to leave for a different service
provider.  They should be able to capitalize on loyalty.  If they do
nothing to aid in transitions away from OpenVMS, then why won't current
OpenVMS customers dump HP for another company?  With the current OpenVMS
customer base continuing to erode, they'll have to cut their losses
someday.

What are your views?

Mike

--