On Wed, 2 Feb 2005, Nick wrote:

> Thanks for your response, but I've got a couple questions?
>
> 1. How do I turn on the ssh daemon on my Linux box, or make sure it's
> on?

Send that question to the list.  You should be able to do this:

ps aux | grep sshd

And see if there is a line ending in something like '/usr/sbin/sshd'.  If
there is such a line, sshd is running.  I don't know if it is protected by
tcp wrappers by default.  The other guys will know.  If it isn't running,
I'm not sure what to do, but you need to have the proper script in the
/etc/init.d directory.

> 2. What's the difference between pushing and pulling?

When a file is transmitted from A to B, if A initiates the transaction,
then the file is pushed.  If B initiates the transaction, the file was
pulled.  Thus, if you use scp to transfer a file from A to B, there are
two ways to do it.  Do you run scp on A and enter your password on B?  Or
do you run scp on B and enter your password on A?

> 3. With these email lists should I be replying back to the list, or is
> it typically okay to contact people directly? I wasn't sure if there was
> some rule I didn't know about.

Always send them to the list unless you have a good reason not to.
I will cc this to the list.

Mike