At 09:12 AM 12/28/2005 -0600, Chris Schumann wrote:
>> As a Windows "jockey" I have to say that you do NOT want to buy an
>> "upgrade" version of Windows XP. If you want to retain Windows, then do
>> yourself a favor and buy Windows XP Professional (last I checked it was
>> $149 with any hardware purchase at General Nanosys). Also, you will want
>> to run WinXP on an NTFS partition, not FAT32.
>
>Be aware that would be the OEM version (which is what I usually buy) and
>will not upgrade an existing OS. That's often OK because clean installs
>are always better anyway... Windows or Linux. Prices online can be very
>good: OEM XP Home is $79, OEM XP Pro $121 at compuplus.

It is usually possible to do a 'clean install' using the upgrade version of
a Windows CD.  For WinXP:
http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sg_clean.asp

"4b. Insert qualifying media
If you are attempting to clean install with a Windows XP Home or Pro
Upgrade CD, you will see this screen, which requires you to insert your
previous Windows CD in order to verify that you qualify for the Upgrade
version.
Curiously, it says that you can use CDs from Windows NT 3.51 and Windows 95
in addition to those from 98, 98 SE, Millennium, or 2000, though these
products cannot be upgraded to XP.

Once you've proven that you qualify, hit ENTER to continue."

This way, you can buy a lower cost upgrade CD and still do a clean install.