On Fri, December 16, 2005 2:00 pm, Dana Millaway wrote:
> Sorry in advance for the cross posting and the somewhat off topic
> question.  I am hoping that you will forgive the fact I am currently
> looking for something that will work with XP since my ideal solution would
> also work on most flavors of Linux.
>
> My husband and I use GAIM both at work and at home to access our aol and
> ms chat accounts.  We currently use XP but are looking hard at switching
> to Linux.  I want to get him a set of web cams (for Christmas) that will
> work on both XP and Linux and preferably integrate with GAIM or some other
> open source chat software.  It sounds like GAIM is working towards that
> integration so I would settle for recommendations of web cams that work
> Linux.  I know there are several that work with aol and ms products but I
> don't like what those chat clients do to my processor, especially running
> both at the same time to keep all the family in touch.
>
> [NULL]
> Any suggestions or warnings regarding web cams and their associated
> software?
>
> Thanks very much and hope you all have safe and happy holidays.

Do a search on Video4Linux or just V4L and webcams and you should find the
information you need. The V4L packages usually include some webcam related
stuff. You can also test with xawtv among others, once the drivers have
loaded. Depending on the Linux distro you choose you may need to hack the
hotplug scripts to get the correct module(s) to load.

Hope that helps.

Jack

--
Jack Ungerleider