Are you running Linux? I would assume you are because like Kraig said you posted this to the TCLUG, which is a Linux list, not a Windows OT recommendation list. I believe Kraig covered the topic well, OpenOffice is a good option for a slide show type presentation, although somewhat resource intensive on your system, once up and running can do pretty much along with The GIMP what you are looking for. If you check out Freshmeat I remember seeing an interface implemented much like Adobe PhotoShop, or more like it if you are not comfortable with The GIMP straight up.

Kraig Jones <jkjones at tcq.net> wrote: Dave Alanis wrote:

>I am involved in a school project that it will involve creating a virtual image (or projection). It will involve having several layers or pieces of imagery. It will actually be putting together a data-center structure. The first thing that comes to mind is utilizing (MS Project and or VISIO) some type of autocad program, even Powerpoint. I don't have much experience with this type of software, is there any recommendations out there, that may help?
>
>I would like to make a presentation as realistic as possible.
>

>Thank you,
>
>Dave

Hi Dave,

Since you asked on the TC-LUG list, I assume you're looking for Linux
and open-source software?  You mention Visio and Powerpoint -- you may
be interested in OpenOffice (www.openoffice.org).  OpenOffice.org's
"Impress" is a presentation program like Powerpoint.  You could use it
to put together a slide presentation.  You can add the graphics for your
slides with the few simple drawing tools in Impress.  And you can use
the OpenOffice "Draw" for more powerful tools and special effects.

For photographic images, and layered images, you could use The GIMP, an
image manipulation program.  It's a little harder to learn than
OpenOffice's drawing program, but it's powerful and has tools for lots
of special effects.

If you're making your own graphics by drawing, there's Inkscape
(www.inkscape.org).  It's a lot like the OpenOffice Draw, but maybe a
little easier to use for some kinds of drawings.

If you're really ambitious, there are programs like Blender
(www.blender3d.org).  With Blender, you can make realistic, animated 3-D
graphics.  But it has quite a steep learning curve -- not recommended if
your project is due Monday.

Kraig