jordan wrote:

>I'm new to the group/list/state/country, having moved to Minneapolis
>from Kuwait last night. I'm Canadian and my wife's a local here, and
>I'll be wanting to build a computer soon. Apart from your Best
>Buy/Dell/etc, do you have any independant computer sales companies, or
>wholesale parts or just your preferred places for hardware shopping in
>and around the twin cities? I'm in Lakeville, down south a bit.

For new x86 or AMD64, I prefer to buy all components on-line from one
reseller.  I think Monarch Computers is a very Linux friendly place to
buy parts and they will assemble the machine for a modest price as well.

For new machines at local shops, some people like General Nanosystems
(http://www.nanosys1.com/) in Minneapolis, but I prefer Tran Micro
(http://www.tranmicro.com/) which is just a bit west of General Nano on
University Ave.

For used machines, including Macs, I prefer Que Computers in Minneapolis
(http://www.quecomputers.com/).  They moved recently and haven't been
to their new store at 26th Ave S & 26st St E.  Midwest Surplus & Elect.

http://twincities.citysearch.com/profile/5589359/minneapolis_mn/midwest_surplus_electronics.html

has nice machines sometimes as well.  The Box Shop

http://twincities.citysearch.com/profile/36338454/st_paul_mn/box_shop_dirt_cheap_computers.html

in St. Paul has some very good deals on used computers, but they seemed
to have mostly Compaqs which I'm not interested in at all.  They do have
the occasional somewhat rare part though.  Materials Processing
Corporation (http://www.materialsprocessing.com/surplus.html) in Eagan
has something of everything, but I haven't been there in years and they
are now only open Thu & Fri 11-5.

That should keep ya busy!

Sincerely,

Ken Fuchs <kfuchs at winternet.com>