From: tclug-list-bounces at mn-linux.org
[mailto:tclug-list-bounces at mn-linux.org] On Behalf Of Jima
Sent: Thursday, August 25, 2005 2:14 PM
To: Steve Linabery
Cc: tclug-list at mn-linux.org
Subject: Re: [tclug-list] linux webcam recommendation

On Thu, 25 Aug 2005, Steve Linabery wrote:
> OK, fyi I have grepped the list archives from 2005 before asking this,
> in case this is a tired topic.

  I don't remember anything particularly recent, so I don't think you're
rehashing anything that shouldn't be.

> I picked up a cheapie logitech usb webcam at nano (logitech quickcam
> communicate, 046d:08f5) and have been unable to get it working with
> motion under fc2. I have googled until my eyes bled; no luck with
> qc-usb-messenger-0.8.

  I think I made that mistake with the QuickCam Messenger (I don't think
there was any driver development under way for it at the time); after
Googling for a better-supported model, I took it back to Microcenter and got
the QuickCam Web.

> Can anyone recommend a readily available, inexpensive (< $40 each,
> used ok), usb webcam with working drivers for 2.6.x kernel?

  Anything listed as supported here might do the job well:

http://qce-ga.sourceforge.net/

> I'm trying to build an on-the-cheap security camera system for my home.
> Ideally with 3 or 4 cameras (yes, I have multiple usb cards).

  That's crossed my mind before.  Let us know how it goes!  (Including its
weaknesses!  Err...)  Sounds like a fun project.

      Jima