On Tue, 2005-08-23 at 08:39 -0500, David Schiff wrote:
> Hi all;
> Is it possible to set up a partition containing multiple iso images of
> various LiveCDs, and have grub boot your pick with a mount loop ?
> Then one could run off HD image and not take as big of a performance
> hit as when running off of CDROM.
>
> Any feedback, pointers or reference URLs would be most welcome.

I imagine it would take some tweaking on a per-disc basis.  Some systems
are designed to be copied onto the hard drive, such as Knoppix.  There
are some instructions on that here:

http://www.penlug.org/twiki/bin/view/Main/GrubSecrets#Using_grub_to_boot_Knoppix_image

Optimally, to get this working more broadly, you'd want grub to
basically emulate an El Torito-aware BIOS, loading and remapping things
in the same manner.  Unfortunately, I don't think that's possible (not
yet, anyway).  Still, even if the boot image could load and run, the
loaded operating system would probably start searching for a CD-ROM.  It
may or may not be possible to have the OS load a hard disk partition
instead as the root device, C: drive, etc.

Also, would the partition have to be iso9660, or could it be some other
filesystem?  Hard to say.  You'll probably have to experiment with the
systems you have available in order to figure things out.

--
Mike Hicks <hick0088 at tc.umn.edu>