On Tue, 2005-08-23 at 10:30 -0500, Tom Marble wrote:
> All:
>
> It's time to update various name related things and
> I want to ping the list for either positive (or negative)
> recommendations for the following:
>
> Registrars
>   register.com: I currently use register.com and have been fairly
>     happy with the service, although it is quite expensive.
>   netsol : I've seen warnings on this list to avoid them
>   godaddy.com : seems like a popular choice for this list
>   others?

I've been using godaddy for about 6 or so domains for several years and
never had a problem. Nice control and nothing bad to say at all.

> I also need an SSL Certificate.  I don't really need
> a Wildcard Certificate, but some of the prices
> (godaddy and freessl) are comparable to basic certs.
> Has anyone used and had success with Wildcard certs?
>
> One simple 128 bit SSL Certificate for 1-year
>   verisign : outrageously priced
>   thawte : $199
>     https://www.thawte.com/core/process?retail-enrollment.enrollment-type=new-ssl2
>     seems to have a very professional and easy to use site
>     would help support free personal e-mail certs they offer
>   entrust : $149
>     http://www.entrust.com/ssl-certificates/web_pricing.htm
>   instantssl : $49 ($449 Wildcard)
>     http://www.instantssl.com/ssl-certificate-products/ssl.html?currency=USD&region=North%20America&country=US
>   geotrust : $169 ($899 Wildcard)
>     http://www.geotrust.com/web_security/index.htm
>   digicert: $99 ($499 Wildcard)
>     http://www.digicert.com/ssl-certificate.htm
>   freessl: $49 ($175 Wildcard)
>     http://www.freessl.com/chainedssl/chainedssl_wildcard.html
>   godaddy: $29 ($199 Wildcard)
>     https://www.godaddy.com/gdshop/ssl/compare.asp?se=%2B&ci=720
>   others?

I've been hanging around webhostingtalk.com as I'm hoping (if a project
goes through) to be looking for a co-lo host and SSL cert and I've been
hearing that ev1 has good SSL prices/setup. No personal experience yet,
but that's the rumor. I've heard some bad things on that site about
godaddy.com and SSL.

Let me know how this goes though so I can pick up a tip on how things
went for you.

Rick