On Sun, 2005-08-21 at 07:22 -0400, Mrbizz4 at aol.com wrote:
> I recently installed Debian GNU/Linux 3.1 on an HP Pavilion 310n.  The
> problem I'm having is that inetd is spawning the telnet service.  When
> I scan the ports on my computer, port 23 is actively listening for
> telnet connections.
[snip]

I suspect that you may actually be running xinetd, which is configured
with /etc/xinetd.conf and /etc/xinetd.d/* (though I thought it used
inetd.conf as a source, but I suppose that's configurable...)

Anyway, you can use that lsof command, or 'netstat -lp' will also show
listening ports and print the program name (-p).

--
Mike Hicks <hick0088 at tc.umn.edu>