I recently installed Debian GNU/Linux 3.1 on an HP Pavilion 310n.  The problem I'm having is that inetd is spawning the telnet service.  When I scan the ports on my computer, port 23 is actively listening for telnet connections.  I have tried many things in order to close this port.  I have tried using update-rc.d, etc.  I have purged the telnet package, so I don't believe a telnet connection is possible, but even after all of this the port remains open!  I have tried to edit inetd.conf.  I have tried to comment out the telnet service in /etc/services, but all that does is change the identity of the service to "unknown", but anyone can tell it's telnet, because the specific port 23 is open and the computer is actively listening.  I've looked at the how to on the Debian home page and tried all of the suggestions on it.  How can I remove the inet daemon?
Your help is greatly appreciated!

Mike