In part, Mike Miller wrote:

> It would be good to see someone else's log file I guess.  Mine never has a
> space in an email address because it retains only the address itself, and
> that obviously cannot contain a space.  I have 6.5 years of procmail log
> file and it contains no examples of extra spaces.  Here's the proof:
>
> # egrep '^From ' .procmail/log | gawk '{print $3}' | sort | uniq -c
> 62533 Fri
> 61566 Mon
> 35030 Sat
> 36271 Sun
> 67671 Thu
> 66921 Tue
> 68171 Wed
>
> Other people might want to try that to see what their usage patterns look
> like (and to test for extra spaces).  For me, it looks like Wednesday is
> the biggest email day, then Thursday, then Tuesday, but Monday and Friday
> get about 8% less than midweek and weekends get about 60% less than
> weekdays.
>
> Have a nice weekend!
>
> Mike

Nice hack!

My procmail logs only go back 2002, but yeah, Wednesday is the heaviest day
for incoming:

# egrep '^From ' procmail_log.200{2,3,4,5} | gawk '{print $3}' | sort | uniq -c
  57837 Fri
  59187 Mon
  44542 Sat
  45698 Sun
  61966 Thu
  61124 Tue
  62476 Wed

Slightly more interesting is how the volume of spam seems to be increasing:

# egrep '^From ' procmail_log.200{2,3,4,5} | gawk '{print $4 " " $7 }' |  uniq -c
   2984 Jan 2002
   3022 Feb 2002
   3168 Mar 2002
   2215 Apr 2002
   3297 May 2002
   3049 Jun 2002
   2898 Jul 2002
   3140 Aug 2002
   3131 Sep 2002
   3135 Oct 2002
   2817 Nov 2002
   3514 Dec 2002
   3409 Jan 2003
   3247 Feb 2003
   4319 Mar 2003
   5628 Apr 2003
   5937 May 2003
   6277 Jun 2003
   7977 Jul 2003
   7706 Aug 2003
  11059 Sep 2003
  13912 Oct 2003
  17588 Nov 2003
  17911 Dec 2003
   9964 Jan 2004
   8212 Feb 2004
   7599 Mar 2004
   8793 Apr 2004
   7634 May 2004
   8107 Jun 2004
   7788 Jul 2004
  13026 Aug 2004
  13362 Sep 2004
  14897 Oct 2004
  18789 Nov 2004
  16540 Dec 2004
  18011 Jan 2005
  16586 Feb 2005
  17153 Mar 2005
  15887 Apr 2005
  14036 May 2005
  13451 Jun 2005
  14037 Jul 2005
   7620 Aug 2005  (hey, it's only the 19'th today!)

Thank God for spam filtering!

-S