On Thu, Aug 18, 2005 at 04:22:44PM -0500, Mike Miller wrote:
> On Thu, 18 Aug 2005, Florin Iucha wrote:
> >My script looks for dates as they occur _two spaces_ after some variable
> >piece of text [1]. The awk is more straight forward but can be thrown
> >off by extra logging at the beginning, or spaces in names.
>
> I don't understand how that command can be thrown off.  It first egreps
> for the '^From ' lines, so it doesn't get extra lines and it doesn't miss
> lines, then it does the gawk on only those lines.  Those lines have a
> uniform format.  There are never "spaces in names" because the names are
> always email addresses that cannot have spaces in them.  So the number of
> fields is always the same and the gawk will never fail.

I was thinking about "Florin Iucha" <florin at iucha.net> kind of spaces in
names, but the log message can have (and in my case has) spaces. I was
wrong in the second instance, but right in the first instance.

Please look again at the snippet I've posted from my .procmailrc .

florin

--

"A little inaccuracy sometimes saves a ton of explanation."
   - H. H. Munro (Saki) (1870-1916)