On Mon, 15 Aug 2005, Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom wrote:

> I keep telling people that I get about 500 mail messages a day; but I'd
> really like some hard figures (maybe even ones I can graph). the ideal
> would be to do this without installing any system-wide software on the
> server; so I'm thinking there's got to be a pretty trivial way to do a
> simple counter in procmail.

This should give you a nice count by date:

egrep '^From ' ~/.procmail/log | gawk '{print $4" "$5", "$7}' | uniq -c

(I'm assuming that you store your procmail log where I store mine.)

Seeing this reminds me that I haven't rotated my log since February 1999.
It is more than 61 MB.  I've received 397,603 messages which is an average
of 168 per day.  Some of these go straight to /dev/null and I read a
minority of them, at best, but that's how many come in.

Mike