I keep telling people that I get about 500 mail messages a day; but I'd
really like some hard figures (maybe even ones I can graph). the ideal would
be to do this without installing any system-wide software on the server; so
I'm thinking there's got to be a pretty trivial way to do a simple counter
in procmail.

even something as simple as:
echo 1 >> mailcounter-`date +%F`
in a procmail recipe would be easy to reckon up by running 'wc -l' on the
resulting file, and would be adequate for my purposes.

some quick experiments were not successful with this; but that's because I'm
not a procmail guru. :)

so has anyone done anything like this?
or do you have an alternate method?

I know the perl hax0rs will tell me to write a perl script and run it over
my mbox files, then generate a pretty graph using some perl module and GD,
but that's a bit more time-intensive than I care to be involved in right
now. :)

--
Carl Soderstrom
Systems Administrator