On Fri, Aug 12, 2005 at 12:11:20PM -0500, Josh Welch wrote:
> > I have installed FC3 on another machine, but I am doing my first
> > Debian install.  I am putting it on a Dell 1400SC server with an
> > onboard Ethernet card.
> >
> > The Debian installer is asking for the name of the driver.  Do I need
> > to specify a driver if port is on the motherboard?

Even if the device is on the motherboard, it is still connected via
the PCI or ISA bus. The system/driver does not care.

> Doesn't matter where the port is, still need a driver to run it. That
> dell should have an Intel Pro 100 NIC, which is the eepro100 driver IIRC.

The eepro100 is the old (Donald Becker) driver. Use e100 instead as it
is the new driver developed with help from Intel. It has higher
performance and supports power management.

florin

--

Don't question authority: they don't know either!