I want to put together a 64-bit Linux server system using AMD chips (I'm
assuming that would give maximum bang for the buck).  I guess I could run
Fedora Core 4 x64 version with multiple CPUs.  What do you all think?  Is
FC4 a good choice?  Is there another Linux distro that can use the 64-bit
system?

For information about CPUs, someone directed me here:

> Here is a very good site to look at for AMD Opteron chips. It has a list
> of all current AMD Opteron chips, single- and dual-core, 130nm and 90nm
> processes, 1-way, 2-way, and 8-way CPUs.
>
> http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/ProductInformation/0,,30_118_8796_9240,00.html

It is an excellent site.  Also, they have links to useful performance
benchmarks.  I guess what I'm seeing is basically what I'd expect -- the
dual cores are faster than single cores, but not twice as fast.  The dual
cores cost more than twice as much as the single cores.  But the 4-socket
mobo costs a lot more than the 2-socket mobo, so there is some trade off
as you go up the price ladder by adding more CPUs to your machine.

Here are some numbers for 8xx processors (up to eight per mobo):

Processor   Speed   core      price (pricewatch.com)
---------  ------   ------    -----
Model 852  2.6GHz   single    $1350
Model 850  2.4GHz   single    $1100
Model 848  2.2GHz   single    $ 847
Model 875  2.2GHz   dual      $2350
Model 846  2.0GHz   single    $ 623
Model 870  2.0GHz   dual      $2155
Model 844  1.8GHz   single    $ 690
Model 865  1.8GHz   dual      $1520

The 846 at only $615 + S/H is a steal.

Here are some numbers for 2xx processors (up to two per mobo):

Processor   Speed   core      price (pricewatch.com)
---------  ------   ------    -----
Model 248  2.2GHz   single    $ 349
Model 275  2.2GHz   dual      $ 856
Model 246  2.0GHz   single    $ 225
Model 270  2.0GHz   dual      $ 856
Model 244  1.8GHz   single    $ 194
Model 265  1.8GHz   dual      $ 855

A Tyan S4882 Thunder K8QS Pro Motherboard with four Opteron 846
single-core CPUs would cost about $3642 (4 x $623 + $1150).  But a Tyan
S2881G2NR Dual Socket 940 Opteron Motherboard with two Opteron 275
dual-core CPUs would probably be about 90% as fast (60-70% faster per cpu
for the dual cores and 10% more for the faster clock rate), but it would
cost only $2162 (2 x $856 + $450).

Interesting.  I'll have to check to see how much money I can afford to
blow on this.

For 8-socket boards, it looks like Tyan Thunder K8QW (S4881) is out, but
you seem to need to put two of them together to get 8 sockets, so I think
we're talking about $3800 or so just for the mobo for 8-sockets.

Hmmm... the more I think about it, the better the two dual-cores at 2.2
GHz for about $2200 is looking.  After that you start to pay a lot more to
get a little improvement.

Any tips on this stuff would be greatly appreciated.  Are any of you
running a 64-bit Linux OS on a multi-processor Opteron machine?

Thanks in advance for any ideas you can share.

Best,

Mike

--
Michael B. Miller, Ph.D.