Linksys and a couple of others offer range extenders which appear to be
WAPs running in bridged mode that basically act as repeaters. If you can
place one in your house that can hit the coffee shop and provides
wireless coverage for the rest of your house, you should be good to go.
The other option is to get better antennae for the wireless units in
other parts of your house but that seems less interesting.

For range extenders take a look at:

http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=10403629&loc=101&sp=1
http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=10381274&loc=101&sp=1
http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?childpagename=US%2FLayout&packedargs=c%3DL_Promotion_C1%26cid%3D1121121186018&pagename=Linksys%2FCommon%2FVisitorWrapper

And I think Apple's little wireless unit can operate in bridge mode as
well, http://www.apple.com/airportexpress/  I would also think that it
would be possible to grab one of the cheap Linksys WAPs and load up one
of the replacement firmware packages to run it in bridge mode.

That said, you may want to consider whether you want to do the 'free
rider' thing or not. Its probably legal but it certainly isn't without
issues.

--rick