On Tue, 2005-08-09 at 15:51 -0500, Ian Stoner wrote:
> Hi folks,

[snip]
> No accelerated IMDCT transform found
>
> Can this account for the slow playback, and if so, how do I get
> accelerated IMDCT transformations?

You mentioned at the end of your note that you have a 1GHz Celeron.
That should be fast enough to decode without IMDCT support (which is a
hardware-assist method for decoding MPEG video).  You may not have
XVideo (Xv) support enabled in your X server, which provides for
hardware scaling of video (allowing you to zoom full-screen without CPU
penalty).  Try running 'xvinfo' and sending us the output, which should
show whether it's working or not.

> I still can't play DVD movies in either Xine or mplayer, and neither
> player even makes the drive light up when I invoke it.  Mplayer give the
> following messages:
[snip disc read problems]

Can you tell us what permissions and ownership (user/group) you see when
you do 'ls -l /dev/dvd' (and on the device that the location is
symlinked to, if it is)?

--
Mike Hicks <hick0088 at tc.umn.edu>