Hi folks,

I was just given a DVD burner as gift, and after a day of fruitless
fiddling around, I realize I have no idea how to set it up.

Right now, it works perfectly when reading and writing data and audio
CDs.  I don't have blank DVDs or data DVDs to play with, yet.  But if I
try to play a DVD movie in Xine, I get two error messages.  One says:

The source can't be read.  Maybe you don't have enough rights for this,
or source doesn't contain data (e.g: not disc in drive). (/dev/dvd)

and the other reads:

There is no input plugin available to handle 'dvd:/'.  Maybe MRL syntax
is wrong or file/stream source doesn't exist.

Following the suggestion of the Xine website, I linked /dev/hdc to
/dev/dvd, but the Xine error messages were the same before and after I
made the link.

Do I need to manually load some modules?  Is there code that needs to be
compiled in to the kernel?  Never having had anything other than a CD
burner, I'm at a loss for what to do for DVD support.

The drive is a Toshiba SD-R6372, and I'm running Debian Etch.

Thanks,

Ian

--
Ian Stoner